Soft and chewy, rolled in cinnamon sugar, these snickerdoodles are the best!
The Best Ever Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 cup) melted about 80%
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Mix the melted butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until smooth. Add one whole egg, one egg yolk, and the vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, cream of tartar, salt, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Don't overmix the dough. Cover with cling wrap and chill for one hour.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a small bowl stir together the white sugar and cinnamon.
Remove the dough and roll into balls, about walnut sized. Roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Bake for 9-11 minutes. Allow cookies to sit on cookie sheet for two minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
Adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron.